August 28, 2012

Back on My Feet

I can't believe the last time I wrote was July 5th, when I wanted ice cream.  Oh, to be young again.  So much has happened since that time.  Here's the short story.*

I went the to the hospital on July 6th with contractions.  We stayed for a long weekend.  The bed rest sentence got stricter.

My water broke on August 18th at midnight.  We went to the hospital.  Out came a baby!

Harper William was born on 8/20/2012 at 3:20pm, just hours under 32 weeks gestational age.  He was 3 lbs 15 oz, and 17 inches long.  He is a doll...very small, but proportional, and cute as can be.  He is in the NICU and will be for a while, but we are coping.  It is made easier by the fact that he is doing so damn well right now.  The emotion behind that is too much to write about now.  Suffice to say, we had a rough go of it, but are beyond lucky, beyond fortunate, beyond blessed to have been dealt the hand we have.  And we know it.

So, here I am, back at home again, recovering from major abdominal surgery (did I mention it was a c-section?), and I am thrilled.  The fact that I can sit in chairs, eat at tables, move around the house -- albeit slowly -- is soul satisfying.  No more bed rest!

I have been pushing it, because it's so tempting to be able to do stuff again, and I know that is bad. But I still feel physically OK...and I still have pain meds.  The first place I started was the kitchen, of course.  Our garden is producing, and it is just too hard to watch stuff go by when I can finally get my hands on it!

I am rusty, however.  So far I have...

  • burned myself with hot oil
  • burned toast
  • set the fire alarm off while making eggs
  • ate an eggshell in the same egg dish
  • forgot tomatoes on Ry's grilled TOMATO and cheese sandwich (it's three ingredients...c'mon)
But I did make a few wonderful things...
  • roasted tomato sauce (froze two ziplock bags flat)
  • pasta bake with said roasted tomato sauce
  • peach, corn, black bean "salsa" - it's more like a salad
  • tomato, mozzarella, basil, grilled chicken panini in a bowl
  • grilled chicken and corn "succotash" over pasta
The succotash dish was/is amazing (I am eating it right now), and I am pretty sure I invented it, so I am going to write up the recipe shortly and post it.

Til then, here is our beautiful baby boy.  Love.



*Long story will follow.

1 comment:

  1. I was starting to wonder what was going on with the lack of posts (yes I check often!). I am glad to hear the little guy is here and doing so well. It's hard to put into words - but enjoy the mellow lazy moments with the baby. I learned this with my second child, but with my first I tried to do too much (c-section with 1st, VBAC with 2nd). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete