June 22, 2012

Fists of Solidarity (or Being a Couch Potato)



Our pregnancy isn't what you'd call "normal."  At the risk of giving too much information, I have a short cervix, and need a bunch of interventions to ensure that this baby stays in his cooker.  So, I've had a procedure (success!), and am getting weekly hormone shots (Ry will be starting to give them to me next week)...and I am sentenced to "couch potato rest."

Being in the hospital for the procedure was kind of a big deal, but we only had to be there for 9 hours.  The couch potatoeness, on the other hand, has been a much bigger deal, and one that we will be dealing with for the next 13 weeks.  We are dealing with it quite well, though, one-week in.  We had one tough day of transition, but then I'm proud to say we quickly developed a routine--which we like--and it hasn't been all that bad.

Ry has been amazing - cooking, cleaning, laundering, vacuuming, gardening, getting me everything. We can't decide which is going to be harder once this sentence lifts - me stopping asking for everything, or Ry being in charge of everything.  He has been quite impressive, even labeling condiments that he just opened with the date that he opened them.  Genius.  I think we are both learning a lot about each other.

Everyday I pretend I am one of two things.  The first is a lazy high school teenage girl (which I used to be), who only wants to lay outside in the sun, tan, paint nails and read trashy magazines classic novels.  The other thing I pretend, and mostly when Ry is around waiting on me hand and foot, is that I am completely loaded (like Pregnant in Heels* loaded), and have an actual butler, and I just sit around while someone does everything for me.

I am incredibly fortunate that I am still able to work, and actually haven't had as much time as I thought I would to knit, read, do crosswords, organize iPhoto because I have been working 40 hours a week!  Thank goodness for computers!  I work with a woman who was on strict bed rest for 20 weeks, before the days of the internet, and THAT would be challenging.  This is still hard, but I think I am in the best worst case scenario possible.  

So, here is my set up from 8:30 - 5:
 

And this is me, pretending I can still garden:


























(Note my awesome $50 reclining chair from Walmart.  Game-changing).

I originally thought I'd be blogging constantly and maybe I still will, once I get bored.  But in the meantime, I ask you to help us keep strong and positive with a Fist of Solidarity.  Close your fist strong, and point it at the nearest cervix, and think/wish/pray/visualize my cervix staying CLOSED and STRONG for the next 14 weeks.  We have to keep this baby boy (yes it's a baby BOY) in!

XO

*I've only watched pieces of one episode, so I am only assuming it's about rich people who are pregnant.  I hope to watch more of it soon.  Maybe that'll be my project for weeks 3 - 5 of this sentence.



2 comments:

  1. BABY BOY! wow!
    Also, you look so good! and what a great attitude. But really, I'm not surprised :-) Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Good luck, and I'll make sure I pump my fist for you and your cervix! And it's a boy! Yay!

    ReplyDelete