May 8, 2012

Maternity Journal: The First Trimester Part 1

Now that I'm out of the first trimester, it's fun to look back and laugh at all the things that were happening to my body.  None of them were very funny at the time.  Although I do think Ry wanted to laugh, but he knew better.  We kept a few lists.

Things that Made Me Cry (and wow, did I cry!)

  • the concept of bridesmaids
  • Taco scratching me, and I got sad and wanted to give him up for adoption
  • My child not liking me...
  • ...and vise versa
  • Money
  • Needing a new car
  • Morgan Freeman at the Oscars
  • Forrest Gump (when they showed part of it during a montage at the Oscars)
  • the Prince of Monaco talking about the 30th anniversary of his mother, Grace Kelly's, death (again, at the Oscars - that was a rough night)
  • the Top Chef Finale
  • finding a piece of paper from 2009 when Ry and I were courting and he used to keep tally of all my sneezes
  • because "Taco doesn't have any friends"
  • Ry teaching our kid to fish
  • Ry being a dad
  • My dad being a grandfather
  • Ry and I being a co-leading team forever (ok, those last three, you'd have to be made of stone not to cry)
  • the song Starlight by Muse (I think I want it on some sort of Birthing Mix)
  • well, lots of songs really
Those were the only ones we wrote down, but believe you me, there were lots of others.  I am so glad Ry had the foresight to right those all down, in the moment, as I was crying in the corner...

5 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations! What exciting news, I am so happy to welcome you into the exclusive club of parenting. We are happy to accept you on one condition - you give yourself a break! Wish we lived closer and I'd arrange a dinner delivery after the baby comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to add that one of the funny things that made me cry with my first pregnancy was when I heard a song by the Dixie Chicks called "Goodbye Earl". Kind of an odd song to cry to given the subject matter, but I bawled like a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny. we're laughing over here and recognizing that Ry is good at keeping lists. maybe we should make random lists. (ed wants to know if you cried to the song 'poker face'. I don't know why.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing you didn't listen to the country music radio stations that first trimester...I think they have a whole genre of weepy songs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - i LOVE the Dixie Chicks and haven't had enough of them in my life recently. I will say, though, Goodbye Earl as a weepy song is kind of weird...Haha. Thanks for your well wishes, and I would give anything to be on the receiving end of any one of your weekly dinner dishes!

    Kat - I did NOT cry to Poker Face, that I am aware of. Lists are a good way of keeping record without spending hours and hours journaling.

    Liz - John Prine still managed to get me a few times!

    ReplyDelete