May 16, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

I love me some chicken pot pie.  But it has to be homemade...by me.  I guess I would try someone else's, but I've been skeptical about all other chicken pot pies.  I used to want to vomit at the idea of peas, carrots and cream of chicken soup in a tiny aluminum pie tin that you cook from a frozen state.  It was right up there with water chestnuts as "foods I hate."  I have no idea, then, why I took the leap to making my own chicken pot pie with the Joy of Cooking recipe.

But I'm sure glad I did. 

It's great comfort food.  It's great for tons of leftovers.  It's one of those dishes that's great for a rainy or cold Sunday of long cooking.  However, this Monday, I discovered it could be done on a weeknight...after working 1/2 hour later...and doing 'major marketing'.  *See below for tangent.

Usually when I make it, I roast a whole chicken (instead of poaching it, like Joy tells me to).  So, that's an hour at least right there.  But on Monday, I bought one of my new favorite tricks-of-the-trade, a rotisserie chicken.  Not just any rotisserie chicken - a rotisserie chicken that was reduced to sell, so it was only $3.00.  That's right, folks, the Manager Special saved me time AND money.

So then I went home, shredded the chicken, cut the veggies, made 'creamed chicken', sauteed said vegetables, combined, made biscuits (also Joy of Cooking recipe) and layered them on top.  We are still eating the leftovers for lunch today.

Some other substitutions I made to the recipe (which you can find in the Joy on page 103):
  • I added asparagus and rehydrated porcini mushrooms.
  • I used mostly milk and some light cream.
  • I went with the Basic Rolled biscuit recipe, and while I usually substitute some of the white flour for wheat, I went all white this time because I knew it would taste better.  No offense, wheat flour, but as healthy as you are, you're just not the same.  I also reduced the amount of baking powder to 1/2 tbl.
  • One time I used a heart shaped cookie cutter to make the biscuits.  Extra love.
Sorry, no pictures. But here is a link to a blog called The Joy of The Joy of Cooking, which has a lovely post about this exact recipe, with lovely pictures.

***

*"Major Marketing" is the term my mother gave to epic grocery store trips.  Where you had literally nothing but mayonnaise in the fridge, and you knew it was going to be a full cart or two, and three digits on the bill before you left the store.  It was my favorite kind of grocery store trip.  A clean slate.  Lots of new stuff.  And because we already knew that a lot of money was going to be spent, it was a chance to get a few treats out of it.


Another benefit of going to the market with mom, whether it was major marketing or not, was we got to eat one packet of "fun fruits," our term for those gummy fruit snacks that come in shapes like sharks, or my personal favorite, deer terds.  We got to eat one IN. THE. STORE.  Such rebels, we were.  That one packet was in addition to our "one packet per day" rule, so we got to double our sugar intake if we went marketing with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment