December 14, 2011

Paying Attention...and Outraged

I'm going to start with this happy image, because I need a little lightness and happiness right now.


I have been paying attention a lot lately (thank you VPR - I appreciate you!), and like the bumper sticker, I am OUTRAGED. There is just so much to be upset about in the world.

I've come back to that slogan--If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention--a lot in my life. Not on purpose, but every time I get worked up about the state of the world, I think, oh yeah, it's not worse than normal, I am just paying more attention than, say, a few weeks ago. So, depending on which classes I took in college, I was outraged (resulting in a few vegetarian years, stands against overpopulation, and proclamations of the urgent need to decriminalize prostitution). It's not that I've stopped thinking about those issues, but just not as fervently.

I remember one rather emotional day when I was a sophomore in college where I had a meltdown. I cried and cried for a few hours (not all that unusual - I generally had an episode like this every quarter, and it was always cathartic and not tragic.) But the night ended with my friends laughing at me because I had started to orate, through my sobs, about how the deer population would go crazy if you killed all the wolves. And-gasp-it-sniff-was-just-hiccup-SO-sniff-IMPORTANT.

Anyway, this week has been particularly outraging. Perhaps I'm predisposed to it because Taco has been a hellion kitty, keeping us up all night (and me worrying about if we're going to have one of those bad kitties that swats at people as they walk by). Either way, here are the Top 5 Things I'm Mad About:

1. When Molly Gordon, an Iowan Evangelical voter said "Frankly, I am a woman, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a woman as president. Women are just - I just don't know if we're cut out to lead." Seriously? Thanks for undoing a few hundred years of discrimination, lady.

2. The fact that the Republicans are going to "sneak" the approval of a Canadian oil pipeline onto the payroll tax cut renewal bill. There are so many things wrong with this situation. First, the pipeline? Sure it might create jobs, but at what other cost, environmental or otherwise? And, as I hear last night the jobs might not be as abundant as people thing. 2nd, the fact that this is tied in with such an important other bill that could shut the government down...again...or leave the lower middle class with even less money. Get it together people!

3. The Post Office! Please don't go! What would we do without you! It's got more nostalgia than rotary phones and phone booths and VHS and mix TAPES combined. I can't imagine the world without a Post Office. I go to the Post Office like 3 times a week for work - what will I do now? I did love Wait Wait Don't Tell Me's joke on this one, though...can't find the exact quote, but something like "If someone were to ask me to take a piece of paper across the country to this exact person, I would say "that'll be $500 bucks". So true!

4. Ugh - the whole "American Muslim" TV show thing, and how people are reacting to it. Lowe's pulls its advertising, and people are outraged. So disheartening. Nice try, TLC.

5. And last but not least...there is a butter shortage in Norway! What are people going to do about Christmas Cookies? Or put on their toast? Or sauté onions and celery in for soup? Oh the tragedy! By the way, they're out of butter b/c they sold all their milk to the US. Hmmmmm.

I easily could have had 10 more, but thought I'd limit it so we wouldn't feel like jumping off a bridge. Le sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I knew how political you were until I started reading your blog. Keep it aflame, sister!...I can't imagine losing the post office...no more snail mail??

    ReplyDelete