December 2, 2011

The Christmas Netipot



I am uncharacteristically NOT in the Christmas spirit yet. Usually, by December 1st at 12:01 AM, I have a tree up, I've wrapped white Christmas lights around the banister going up the stairs, I've spent my paycheck on Yankee Candle Balsam & Cedar (now 25% off!) and Cranberry Chutney candles, the tiny stockings are hung by the front door with care (including ones for the cats), and I've heard "Christmas Time Is Here" by the Charlie Brown gang at least 38 times. But I've got none of it. Not a single evergreen bough.

True, it's only December 2nd, but considering we're away this weekend, and then leaving for our 2nd Annual Holiday East Coast Tour on December 16th, I am running out of time. And I've considered that I might have to be OK with that this year. (With the promise to myself that I won't let it become a habit.)

My unChristmasness could be directly linked to advertisements. I think I'm taking after Ry, and I don't like to be told what to do or what to think, so stop telling me in October that I can take care of all my Christmas needs by Thanksgiving and save money if I just get myself to Target! And if you try to convince me one more time that buying someone a car for Christmas and wrapping it in a giant bow is realistic...well, I can't be responsible for my actions. And I don't want a Kindle telling me it's the most wonderful time of the year because I can finally replace the inconvenience of books. I will decide if it's the most wonderful time of the year.

My unChristmasness could also be attributed to this unseasonably warm weather. Last weekend, I was wearing a t-shirt. I have seen 7 snowflakes, and we only have two quilts on our bed (instead of three). Furthermore, not only am I not cold when I go outside, but I am also constantly reminded of the incredible climate changes we continue to see each and every day.

I think I'm getting more cynical.

But I am still hopeful. I am waiting for winter, at which point I am confident the coziness of drinking hot cocoa and cuddling up on the couch with some knitting will get the Christmas spirit flowing, like a Netipot during allergy season. I know there will be some moment soon where I will start to feel like it's winter, and like the season of warmth, tradition, giving and ...

*** UPDATE (later that day) ***

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the bank. It started to snow--big, heavy, fat, delicious flakes--and the bank had Christmas music playing. And candy canes. And glitter covered Christmas trees. I was wearing a hat, mittens and a long down coat. I was dreaming of cookies. Suddenly, every brake light and neon sign started to look pretty against the white snow flakes falling past them. Every shop--even the dirty mechanic that smells like engine oil--looked like it was plucked out of a wintry Norman Rockwell painting.

Could this be? Had I just had my Christmas Netipot?

Perhaps this year there might just not be time to hand craft every gift, and make my own wrapping paper. So what if I don't have energy (after planning and executing a wedding, and still writing the Thank You notes) to make and send Christmas Cards? Hell, we might not even get a Christmas tree (Eeek! But what's the point if it's going to sit around all alone for 15 days. Will the cats really notice a difference if we don't have one?). But at least it's starting to feel just a little more seasonal, just a little more jolly, just a little more like winter.

I think there is a Christmas movie about this.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love this analogy! Glad the spirit is starting to flow for you--I think I need a cleanse myself!

    ReplyDelete