November 4, 2011

Bisque Management



Even though I can move past the Kardashian wedding debacle (I promise - this will be the last time I mention that name. If I'm lying, Ry will literally disown me), I still need a little comfort, which this evening I will take in the form of the best, richest Squash Bisque recipe I've ever known.

It doesn't come from a book! Like most "best" recipes, it comes from nostalgia, and a person whom I admire, and who doesn't even know it -- Rexine, a family friend who is simply amazing.

She baked carrot cake cupcakes for our wedding with cream cheese frosting, and gave us a Daisy butter churn! But, of course, I admire her more for her strength, positivity, creativity, thoughtfulness and hard work. She has been in my life seemingly forever, and was my boss for a summer when I worked landscaping. I dare say she is responsible for first planting the seed within me for cooking, entertaining and gardening. That's significant.

My best memories of Rexine are of when our families would get together at their house before Christmas for a long, indulgant evening of posh food, elegant table-settings, warm, cozy fires, A Christmas Story, games and laughter. The night always ended late, with us kids falling asleep to Christmas movies on their couch, having to be moved to the car to head home. Her husband and my Dad's best friend passed away in 2005, and it was a huge loss, that I never expected to feel (and tear up about) to this day. And so those holiday parties are sealed in the past, with only a few elements that can be brought back today. This Squash Bisque is one of them. Thank you, Rexine.

Squash Bisque

1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup minced carrot
3 tbls butter
salt & pepper to taste
1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes (I suppose you could use other winter squash, but I personally will never mess with it)
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup light cream
cayenne, to taste

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, sauté the onion & carrot in butter until soft, but not brown. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add potatoes, squash & chicken soft. Simmer 45 minutes until vegetables are tender. Force through a sieve, food mill or blender. Return to pan; heat and add cream. Correct seasoning with salt, pepper and cayenne. Serves 6.



No comments:

Post a Comment