October 27, 2011

Things I REALLY like right now include...

...the Dave Brubeck Pandora station

...knitting!

...getting up early, making coffee, listening to VPR, and NOT rushing around. I even tried my hand at a true French Omelet with fines herbes yesterday morning, a la Jacques Pepin. But I failed. Because my pan wasn't non-stick enough.

...scrambled eggs with fines herbes

...Ry wearing sweaters (it's that season!)

...MS Excel

...Project Runway (Finale tomorrow! The only one I don't want to win is Josh. And I think the guy whose name begins with a V will win. Vince? Val? Why don't I know that?)

...chard stir-fry, like my brother taught me (see below)

...Hipstamatic for iPhone


Chard, a la Joshuah
Warning: garlic content is high and spicy. don't eat before a job interview.
Serves a lot, and some for lunch the next day
  • As much chard (or kale) as you can get your hands on: washed, stems removed and chopped. Chop leaves roughly and set aside.
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped (or any shape / size / kind you like)
  • 2 big cloves garlic, minced or crushed
  • 1 glug of olive oil
  • knob of butter
  • crushed red pepper (optional)
  • salt and pepper (absolutely necessary)
Heat up oil and butter in a cast iron pan with deep sides. Add onions and chard stems and saute until tender. Add pinch of crushed red pepper at this point, if interested. Add leaves of the greens, and combine into the sauteed stems and onions, until just before all wilty. Add garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, season with salt and pepper. Eat.

Other options: Add white cannelloni beans before you add the leaves. Throw in some Frank's Red Hot-marinated tempeh (already sauteed). Serve over rice. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment