October 26, 2011

Love the clock, not the alarm

I have been reading a lot of blogs recently. It's all because I discovered three amazing blogs, and the miracle of RSS feeds. So now I'm always up to date when they post, and I get taken on a journey from one link to another, adding one new favorite blog subscription after another...until I officially waste an entire afternoon at work looking at other people's awesome lives.

So, thank you #1 Dinner: A Love Story (actually a thank you for that discovery goes out to #2 This is the Corner We Pee In), and #3 SouleMama. And thanks to my friend Kat for the last one.

Now I want to have my own blog.

Not necessarily to show the world "Hey, look at me! Look at what I'm doing!" But more to commemorate some of my wicked insightful thoughts and bookmark some of the more interesting things I've been finding electronically. In 30 years, I want to be able to look back and know what I was up to when I was 30 (which I am). In 10 years, I want to be able to look back and chronicle the meals I gravitated towards in the summer, when I need the most inspiration because it's too hard to be chained to the kitchen when it's hot out (even though summer is when I have the most vegetable inspiration possible!).

And in 2 years, I want to go to one place to find all the inspiration needed for my new husband and I to build our house. My guess is this topic will start to fill up the blog pretty soon.

Here it goes! Part culinary journal, part ramblings about my day-to-day, part inspiration notebook, part list of things I like, part my social commentary on life and marriage, and part historical timeline.

The first rambling, then, about my day-to-day will be about the title of this post - "Love the clock, not the alarm." I'm referring to the darling MoonBeam Clock from L.L. Bean. Oh, how I love it's retro feel, and it's gentle and comforting illuminated face at night. And oh, how I hate the alarm. Loud (jarring, actually), impossible to set, 45 or 80 or 2790 minutes off...just terrible. It nearly gave Ry a heart attack. At 1:30 in the morning. When it was set for 6:15.

I began my day today writing a review to L.L. Bean about this, and I felt I was honest but helpful for other potential purchasers. I will not be returning mine, though, as I still do love it - even if I have to buy another freaking clock in order to have an alarm!

And that is what I did this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment